Report a sewer problem or blockage

If you are experiencing a sewer back up or blockage during the hours of 8am - 4 pm Monday through Friday, please email if it is after 4pm please call 610-270-3190

Discontinue inside water use. The operator will take your information and dispatch an Authority employee.  In the evening or the weekends, dial 610-270-3190.  Please provide your name, the property address, a return phone number and as much information as possible concerning the blockage.  An Authority employee will check the sewer main for blockage.  If the blockage is in the sewer main, the Authority employee will remove the blockage.  If the Authority employee determines that the sewer main is functioning properly, you will be informed and you should then contact a licensed plumber to remove the blockage from your house lateral or your internal plumbing.  The Authority is responsible for maintaining the sewer mains in the street only.  The property owner is responsible for the maintenance of the house lateral and internal plumbing.  The Authority will not remove a blockage from the house lateral.